Friday, January 25, 2008

Kristen Baumlier is a Petroleum Pop Princess

I met Kristen Baumlier, a Cleveland-based artist, either at a party held by the fabulous Kate Kerwin, or through artist Nathaniel Parsons (who definitely was at that party, and with whom I was lucky to meet and share art and words). I can't remember now, but when I learned she was doing a project called "Oh Petroleum!," my ears perked up, since I'd been in the early stages of conceiving a long poem called "Ode to Oil." Her photo-images of oil in its various manifestations became fuel for pieces of "Ode to Oil," which will be published this spring (along with the images) in the journal Artful Dodge. I discovered that her performances now have invaded YouTube, and she has transformed herself into a pop diva, spreading the oleaginous word. I have a feeling that "Ode to Oil" is going to get more oily and more kitschily epic before it's done...







2 comments:

Paul Lauritzen said...

If you get all four videos going at once, the effect is pretty cool.

Philip Metres said...

Did you do this trick on your IPhone? If you did it on the big screen, I'm surprised it didn't cause seizures.